Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Upgrading the File Server to 7.04

After having such great luck upgrading the backup server to 7.04, it's time to do the same to the file server.

At the beginning, things went as smooth as the first time, but when I ran the do-release-command, I was cautioned against using ssh to access the server during the process. The message said that if I continued a 2nd ssh daemon would be started on port 9004. (I have no idea why.) Anyway, since it worked fine the first time, I answered yes to continue. So far, it's still working.

...

I've had to answer a couple of questions about saving config files and such. No worries.

...

Just like last time, the reboot didn't work. I assumed it had something to do with the lack of a keyboard, or maybe the floppy disk setting in BIOS, so I attached a monitor to check. A pretty nasty message said that some long named file wasn't there, and it was dropping to a shell.

Like any well trained IT professional, I decided to power off and on. Now, after the BIOS screen comes and goes, I see "Starting up ... Loading, please wait..." No more disk activity, no change on the screen, nothing. It's hosed.

You don't think it was the ssh thing, do you?

Looks like I have something to work on this weekend.

UPDATE:

If I wait long enough, the error comes up again. Here is is:

Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/7e6ada37-87a7-475b-9a12-53129119ea05 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!


UPDATE 2: The solution for this problem is here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home