Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Friday, March 09, 2007

BackupPC #6 - Actual Backups Completed

When we last heard from our hero in part 5, he had finally figured out how to connect 2 Linux hosts together.

Since then, I've backed up the file server (22 hours), and 2 of the 3 desktop PCs. One problem that has not gone away is the fact that I can't connect to the other DHCP hosts. I tried modifying the DHCP Address Range parameter like this:
$Conf{DHCPAddressRanges} = [{ ipAddrBase => '192.168.254',first => 13, last => 253}];
But still no luck.

Just to get things going, I started the backups from the target machines so that the program would know where to look. Now that I've done this, I can start future jobs from the server or from my machine (assuming the DHCP assigned address doesn't change). I'm thinking it might be easier if I just use static IPs for the desktops!

Anyway, the backup of my daughter's machine, as well as my desktop, went great. My wife's is giving me a generic 'backup failed' error. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

The file server backup took 22 hours, but that was only on the 2nd try. The first was interrupted after 6 hours by a power outage here at the LSD Ranch. Apparently it starts from scratch after being interrupted.

Learn the exiting conclusion of this story in part 7.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home