Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Monday, March 05, 2007

BackupPC #1

I started the BackupPC installation tonight. As a guide, I'm using this tutorial from HowToForge.

Starting with the very first step, my installation is different than documented. The mail program, exim, is asking questions I don't know how to answer. I guessed that I should use a smarthost to send mail with no local delivery. I set the domain and SMTP machine to my domian and my hosting company's mail server respectively. We'll find out later if those choices were correct.

Also, the setup never asked for my workgroup name.

The web interface came up without incident.

I should have noticed earlier that the data is stored in /var/lib/backuppc, so I'm going to have to setup my 80GB drive with that path. I've been looking through the config docs to see if I can alter that path - and I think that I should be able to, since it refers to a variable called $topdir that references the path - but I can't find anything. ...... You know, I'm going to look a little more before using that default. Hold on...

... OK, so I'm glad I checked. I found a note on this page that tells us that the TOPDIR setting is in this file:

/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm

I changed the setting to /backup, the path I set when I partitioned the drives.

I restarted the daemon with /etc/init.d/backuppc reload, and now the web interface won't come up.

Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC server

I moved the directories from /var/lib/backuppc to /backup and restarted the daemon, but no luck.

I know this is a newbie move, but sometimes all can be set straight by a quick reboot. (It's my years of Windows training that made me do it!)

That's enough for tonight. More soon in part 2.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home