Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Such a Rookie Mistake!!

I've been fighting this server problem since December, and now, over 3 months later, I've found the problem. I was hoping that the solution would be failing hardware, or maybe a kernel incompatibility, but instead, it is my stupidity.

You may remember from yesterday that Fedora didn't like the IP address I was using. At the time, I just decided to use another and figure out that problem later. During today's experiment with Lormalinux, I didn't receive notice of a conflict and went back to my original choice. And, when I got things setup and began to copy files, the same error that has plagued me from the start cropped up again. After trying a new CAT5 cable with no change, I was looking for an old hub to setup an isolated network, in case it was one of my routers or another workstation causing the problem, but I couldn't find it.

Sitting in my easy chair this afternoon, I remembered the Fedora error, and it hit me. The address I've been using all this time is already in use - on the wireless access point. I changed the address on the Lormalinux server to an unused number, and it's working great. I'm such an idiot!!

Now that I know the problem, I'm going back to Ubuntu 6.10. Lormalinux is working OK, but I put in too much research on Ubuntu to not use that knowledge (plus there are so many more resources available). Since the Purdue/Indiana game was postponed tonight, I should be able to get the whole thing done before bedtime.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home