Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Building the New Server - Part 1 - Hardware Assembly

Despite the snow storm, the parts for the new server were delivered today. With all extracurricular activities canceled for the evening, I began putting things together after supper.


Now, how hard can it be to put four pieces together? In my defense, I had to spend some time just looking at it. I have to imagine the work before I can do it. Next, I read the limited documentation provided with the motherboard, and scanned the single sheet diagram that came with the case (which told me absolutely nothing).


First, I installed the motherboard. It didn't take too long to attach the screws and connect all of the wires. The mobo doesn't have FireWire support, but everything else found a place. During this step I popped in the memory.


Next, it was time to install the hard drive. It only took me half an hour to realize it should be mounted upside down! Who knew? The minimalist diagram didn't show any parts not included with the case. For some reason, I had laid the drive bottom up on the table and happened to look at it. Look, these holes line up. Hmmmm.


Finally, I buttoned up the case. It was a tight fit to get all of the cables tucked in and out of the way while still reaching where they needed to be. I plugged it in, and the lights came on and the hard drive spun up. I was ready for software.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home