Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Some Assistance

I want to thank Steve for the suggestions on the last post. Unfortunately, I don't quite understand what we're trying to do, and I'm getting an error on the 2nd command.

ls *.ko | sed s/.ko$ | awk {'print "modprobe "$1'} | sh

Gives this error:

sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unterminated `s' command

I'm digging through the sed manual pages, but I haven't got it yet.

In other news, I've been thinking about how this could be a power setting problem - maybe the system was hibernating because of a lack of activity (although the CPU and disk are quite active). I checked the BIOS settings and found that the Power Saver mode was set to 'Advanced'. I changed it to disabled, but the problem is still there. The screen blanks a minute or two before the error appears, and when it does, both the file copy and the PuTTY session disconnect.

I will get some better times to see if there is a consistent problem.

1 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger steve said...

Not your fault, the sed command got munched somewhere along the line. I'll try again:

sed s/.ko$//

Or spelt out just in case:

sed s slash dot ko dollarsign slash slash

Which has the effect of searching for .ko$ and replacing it with nothing (ie, deleting it). The intention is then to leave just the module name which is piped into awk which creates the command to modprobe the module name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home