Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Dress Rehearsal

OK, so I've had a bit of a setback, not a big thing, but I do get to start over.

I spent yesterday doing some hard drive jockeying, and I now have the 250GB drive ready to put in the server. However, the Compaq case (why do I keep working with old Compaqs?) uses a non-standard drive mounting system, so there was no way to install the drive. Executive decision time, I decided to remove the 6.4GB drive already in the computer (the plan was to host the operating system there with the data files on the 250GB), and just use the 250GB for everything.

However, nothing goes easy with a Compaq. The BIOS still reports 6.4GB, while the Ubuntu partitioner is seeing 250GB. I haven't hit the go button yet, but I really have nothing to lose. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work or it reports much less than 250GB. If so, I'll punt!

Lucky for me that I have documented my steps thus far in this diary. Back to step 1.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home