Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Headless? No Problem - But I Need a Keyboard

After setting up SSH and testing, I disconnected the monitor and keyboard and did a shutdown/restart. Nothing.

I reconnected the monitor to see the error, and found that the machine wasn't going to boot up without a keyboard. I went through the BIOS setup screens, but couldn't find a setting to stop the test. I guess this Deskpro wasn't designed to be a server. :)

After reconnecting the keyboard, it booted without a monitor just fine.

I think I'll look for some sort of dongle that can look like a keyboard, but for now I'll just keep one plugged in.

UPDATE:

This link offers instructions for a DIY keyboard dongle. I'll give it a try.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-12/1112.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home