Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Hard Drive Saga Begins

The two hard drives arrived on Monday. I installed the 80GB drive in the new client machine without incident. I've installed Win 2000 on it for now, but I'd still like to get XP Pro installed before I get too far into software installs.

The 250GB drive for the server hasn't gone quite as well. The documentation packed with the drive warned that the BIOS in older machines may not recognize the full capacity. When I plug it in, the BIOS settings are automatically set for a 128GB drive - just over half. Then, about 45 seconds after I login to Windows, the machine reboots. If I disconnect the drive, things come up fine.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm wondering if the problem is hardware related, or Windows related. For the latter, I could install Linux and see what happens. I may try disconnecting the CD-ROM, which is on the same IDE controller, and try to bring it up. Another option is to put the drive in the desktop machine as a 2nd drive and see how it works.

I'm finding no help on the Compaq web site, and the Western Digital site is "rebooting". They want to come back in a few minutes.

So, I guess I'll be back in a few minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home