Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Server Trouble

I've been away from the project for a while, so I decided to switch my files over last weekend. I started by copying the photos (15GB). About 10 minutes into the copy, an error box popped up stating that the server could not be found. The PuTTY session that I had opened failed at the same time. Thinking it was a fluke, I reconnected and tried again. Same thing. The next day (after restarting the server) I tried some different files. Still, it failed.

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm no expert on hardware, but I may see if I have an extra network card to swap with the current one. My daughter used this computer for a couple of years without incident, but she never tried copying gigs of files in one sitting.

We'll see.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger steve said...

Run dmesg and see if there's any obvious complaints. There might also be something in the system logs, /var/log/messages, syslog and kern.log.

If the network connection is complete dropping it does indeed sound like the network card can't take the load. I've seen this before with cheaper cards - rtl8139, ne2000's, etc. I usually have good luck with Intel and 3Com cards.

The other possibility is that the hard drive isn't running in DMA mode and is taking too many interrupts. hdparm can tune your hard drive settings, I usually use something like:

hdparm -u1 -d1 -c1 -m16 /dev/hda

Which enable interrupt unmasking, DMA, 32 bit I/O and 16 sector block transfers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home