Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Pay Day Fun


Well, as I threatened a copule of weeks ago, I ordered the new server parts the other day. As we speak (I know, we're not actually speaking), I'm watching the packages travel across the country via the tracking pages provided by UPS.
How long until we will be able to see live GPS feeds of our packages as they speed down the interstate, or fly to and from Memphis? "Look Honey, I think the truck is about to turn onto our street! Get my camera!" Wouldn't that be both amazingly cool and frighteningly anal at the same time? Homeland Security would never go for it.

As I passed a FedEx truck driving back from Indy today, I wondered if my memory chip was in that tandem trailer (although I doubt if UPS would use a FedEx truck).

Anyway, the case looks to be about the size of a Mac Mini. Just enough room for the motherboard with the VIA processor, my exising 3½ inch hard drive, and an optical drive in the "slim-optical" footprint. The optical drive will come later, but I plan to get a DVD burner to use for backups. 512MB of RAM is more than enough for a file server used by the four of us to store bootleg music and digital snapshots.

The parts should arrive by Tuesday, and I'll likely assemble the whole thing in about 20 minutes. Next, I'll reintall Linux and setup the software for the third time. I'm getting lots of good practice!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home