Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Building the New Server - Part 5 - Early Version

Today, I'm trying the 6.06 version of Ubuntu Server to see if the symptoms continue (see many earlier posts for details).

11:30 am
Let's start
11:58 am
Right off the bat, I see that I'll have to switch the kernel as mentioned in Part 2.
12:12 pm
Time to go through additional software installation and configuration - as outlined in Part 3.
12:33
OK, I didn't even get through those steps before SSH disconnected. I'm running out of options!

I may have to try another distro. Time for a break!

UPDATE:

OK, I decided to come back and finish the configuration, both to build a complete test bed and just for practice. I just want to say that my first server ran on Win95, and it worked great right out of the box!

Sorry, I'm venting a little - I didn't really mean that I would go back to that. Let's just continue.

12:58 pm
I'll finish the Samba and ntpdate steps.
Note that the cupsys-common package is apparently not used in this version
Also note that my syslog is filling up with messages looking for a file called /etc/printcap which doesn't exist. I created an empty file with touch /etc/printcap which stopped the entries.
1:17 pm
Done

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home