Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Building the New Server - Part 3 - Configuring Everything

I reinstalled and configured software as outlined here, although I had to reverse the SSH and repository steps commenting out the CD as a source since I have no CD-ROM (more on that later). Also, I ran through the additional configuration steps here, here, and here.

While I was messing around, I installed ntpdate to automatically set the clock every hour.
Install the software
sudo apt-get install ntpdate
Run the script to set the clock
sudo /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate
Edit /etc/default/ntpdate to use your favorite time servers.
Mine are tick.cerias.purdue.edu and tock.cerias.purdue.edu.
Add the job to the CRON list.
crontab -e
Insert this text and save and close the file
@hourly /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home