Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Friday, April 06, 2007

BackupPC #7 - Epilogue

In part 6, I had backups running successfully from each machine - one Linux file server and three Windows clients. Before I call this project finished, there's one more thing I have to do.

I was looking at my Windows desktop, and noticed that I still have the 99GB Backup folder on the local drive. This is a backup of the file server, plus a few older files. But, before I delete this backup, I want to make sure that the new backup is working. So, it's time for a restore.

I had placed a file on the server earlier with the intention of deleting, then restoring it. I tried this tonight, and it worked without a hitch. Still, it will probably take me a little while to build up the nerve to actually delete the old Backup folder.

My only negative issue with BackupPC is that it seems that I have to store clear text passwords on the server, and keep shares open on the clients. It would be nice if the windows machines had an option such as rsync on Linux that would be more secure. (There probably is a better way to do it, but I don't know what it would be. Those with more experience are welcome to leave suggestions and hints.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home