Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Linux Desktop Update

As I threatened back in January, I've been looking at the next version of Ubuntu for my desktop. Version 7.04 is in beta right now, and I downloaded the Live CD for a spin.

One of the first things I hit was that it seems that I can run more than one program that needs audio at the same time, and they both work! I haven't seen any notes about this as a fix, so maybe it was addressed in 6.10. (I used 6.06 on my last desktop experiment.) Also, I've heard that the codec and plug in issues I mentioned have gotten easier to deal with, and my experience with the Live CD can back that up.

Once the final version comes out, I'll setup a double boot and try it out for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home