Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Samba - More Playing Around

So, a couple of days ago, I started working on my Samba problem. In the log file /var/log/samba/log.smbd, I found these error messages repeating about every 30 minues:
[2007/05/22 20:23:14, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(785)
create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
[2007/05/22 20:23:14, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(751)
create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
Some Google research showed several theories as to why this would happen, although those having trouble didn't seem to be helped much. The most common explanation was that the user database was using the wrong (read: not the best) format. I messed around with the setting a little, to no avail.

Today at work I decided that I didn't have to diagnose and solve this problem. I don't need to file a bug report or try to fix the code. I just want it to work. Therefore, I've decided to uninstall Samba and all of its compainions, delete the configuration files (the entire /etc/samba/ folder), and start over. It only takes about 15 minutes for my entire Samba installation procedure. Why waste time trying to fix it? (Unless of course this doesn't work, and I'm back to the drawing board again.)

Anyway, here goes...

OK, so there's trouble right off the bat. I entered this command to remove the Samba stuff:
sudo apt-get install samba samba-doc libcupsys2 libkrb53 winbind smbclient cupsys-common samba-doc-pdf smbfs
And it also wants to remove the SSH components. I'm guessing it is one of the libraries that has a dependency for SSH. I'll try it without those.

Yup, it was libkrb53. I used this instead with better results:
sudo apt-get remove samba samba-doc libcupsys2 winbind smbclient cupsys-common samba-doc-pdf smbfs samba-common
After that was done, I removed all of the files from /etc/samba/. Is it that easy? Is it gone? I guess I'll try the reinstall.

  1. Install Samba
  2. Setup Configuration File
  3. Setup Other Users
  4. The Rest of the Setup


And ... it still doesn't work.

Something interesting though - I added a [homes] section to smb.conf and restarted Samba. Now, I can see and open my home folder via Samba, but still can't get to the files share. So that means Samba is working and the authentication is working.

Oh, and the 'Failed to create' error mentioned above is still showing up in the log.

I just don't get it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home