Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Force Group

Still working on the Samba problem.

Tonight I decided to setup a new file share. Since the [homes] section works, I wanted to see if I could setup a share more like the one I was trying to fix. I followed the same steps, and found that the new one wasn't accessible either. This was actually a good thing, because it told me that the problem could be in the share definition. So, I commented the settings one by one until it worked, trying different combinations.

It turns out that it was the force group setting that was causing the trouble. With it commented, I can access the share just fine. It now works on all the client machines.

The goal of that setting was to have all new files be in the 'users' group so that all of us could access each others' files by default. Testing that will be tomorrow's assignment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home