Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Armangil's Podcatcher - Part 3

(See part 2 here)

OK, so I think I've figured out why files are being deleted somewhat randomly. The SIZE option determines how much disk space will be used for the content cache, and the default is set to 512MB. With all of the testing I've been doing, I filled up that space pretty quickly. I can set it to zero to indicate no limit, or pick another size.

Juice, my windows based podcatcher, has a handy option that handles the deletion of old content on a per feed basis, where the cutoff is stated in days, not MB. I use this for podcasts I that only listen to occasionally. The latest version is always available, but I don't have to worry about piling up old episodes. Since the SIZE option looks at the entire cache to decide what to delete, I probably won't use if for this purpose.

So I've dropped the --no-empty option, and I'll have to add a SIZE option. Also, I'll probably use 'new' for the strategy rather than 'chron'. The difference seems to be which is downloaded first - old or new, so it doesn't really matter too much if I have enough space allotted.

My next experiments will be to try directing the cache to another folder, and using my actual OPML file in place of the demo.

More later...

UPDATED: I take it all back! The back_catalog strategy works better than new. In fact, I'm not sure of the difference between new and one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home