Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

What's Next?

Lazy GreyhoundI know that I've been slacking off a little on this project, but work has been busy and I've been tired. After a long day of working on computer problems, it's tough to come home and think about computer problems. Things should level off soon once we are back to full staff.

Here's what's coming up:
Backup Procedure
I want to automatically copy files from the file server to the 2nd partition on my desktop. I hope to figure out a way to do some sort of "grandfather" plan, where I keep the last three backups.

IMAP
My daughter is getting her first email account for her birthday next month, so I will probably set her up first. Mine should be easy to move, as should my son's accounts. For my wife, it has to be totally transparent. I've been thinking about getting her a new address, so this may be the time.

Firewall
Before I setup IMAP to talk with the outside world (for the webmail connection), I need to setup a simple firewall using IPTABLES. After that I may investigate using something a little more solid. We'll see.

More as I think of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home