Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Installing Firefox - Configuring URPMI

It all started with me wanting to install Firefox on the Linux server - not so much to use it, just to try installing.

So, I downloaded the Linux tarball from the Mozilla Firefox download site. I was able to extract the install files, but had trouble running the install.

Gnome logoFirst, I tried installing from the graphical interface. I'm using Gnome (mostly because I think it looks better). Apparently, I don't know how to run a script or program as root in Gnome. I was finally able to run it under my username, and it installed fine. Once I found the executable and added it to the menu, I was ready to go... except ...other users couldn't see the program. It installed in my home directory tree. Not acceptable.

Command prompt logoNext, I thought I would try running the install via a command prompt. I logged in as root and attempted to run the script. Bash kept telling me that the command was not found. No idea what command it was referring to.

When in doubt, I turn to Google for research. I searched for install firefox mandrake, and found this link. A poster suggested using URPMI to install it. I entered the command urpmi mozilla-firefox, but it couldn't find the package. It was time to configure URPMI.

The Easy URPMI page was suggested. This is a cool little page that suggests hosts for the various versions of Mandrake Linux and composes the URPMI configuration commands. I entered my selections and it gave me instructions. Also, there was a note at the bottom of the page:
Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup.

I figured that I wanted to start fresh, so I ran the command. It promptly deleted the Installation CDs from the list of available media!

Now, I had to figure out how to get them back. Another search found help from LinuxQuestions.org - URPMI Install CD List. The suggested command didn't work, but a little man reading helped me form this command: urpmi.addmedia InstallationCD1 removable:///mnt/cdrom. I ran this for each of the three CDs. I haven't tested it yet.

Anyway, back to the install. Below are the commands suggested by Easy URPMI:


urpmi.addmedia plf http://plf.acnova.com/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://mirror.aca.oakland.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://mirror.aca.oakland.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://mirror.aca.oakland.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/contrib/jpackage/i586 with ../../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist3.cz

urpmi.addmedia club ftp://mirror.aca.oakland.edu/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/testing/Mandrakeclub/10.0 with hdlist.cz


All of these addmedia commands take a little time as the program reads package lists and builds indexes.

Finally, it's time to run the command. I refer back to the post mentioned earlier:
Then open terminal, su to root and type 'urpmi mozilla-firefox' and then "tada!" you have Firefox

I ran the command, and ... no tada! no Firefox! It took a while to find the executable, and even longer to find an icon. Why wouldn't the install at least attempt to create a link in a menu or on the desktop? This is why Linux is having trouble gaining a foothold on the desktop! I'm glad I'm doing mostly server stuff. The command line serves me well.

This process has been stretched out over a couple of days (due to work, family, sleep, quality TV time, trombone washing, etc), so I was quite ready to actually run the program. I fired it up, and the first page I saw was a warning to upgrade right away. Apparently, the version was 0.8! I was directed to the Mozilla site to download the latest tarball (do you see an endless loop forming here?)

I think instead I will wait until I stumble across an RPM for v1.0. Then, I get to learn about the wonderful world of upgrading!



UPDATE:
I guess I spoke too soon concerning the Firefox menu icon. Apparently, I have to log out and back in to see the changes. (A lot less annoying than not having an icon at all, but still annoying.) The menu item for Firefox is available in Gnome, KDE, and IceWM. Sorry for the rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home