Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Directory Model Decided

I think I've solved my issues with the directory layout on the new drive and how it relates to Samba. Here's the plan:

On the new drive (/mnt/hdd1) I have setup two folders, the earlier mentioned /home and one called /export. Each is mapped to a folder in /. Under /export, I'll create folders for all of the shared files, including music, pictures, downloads, etc.

Also, to mimic the behavior of the existing share, I'm setting up a folder for each user in the export folder. This will map to the Documents folder in each users home folder.

Starting with the original smb.conf, here are the changes:

smb.conf

in [global]
server string = Samba %v on %L

in [homes]

path = /home/%u/Documents

in [files]

path = /export
create mask = 0777
hide unreadable = yes

To create and mount the /export folder, I use steps similar to those used when moving /home

cd /mnt/hdd1
mkdir export
chmod 0777 export
mkdir export
Add this line to /etc/fstab
/mnt/hdd1/export /export none rw,bind 0 0
mount /mnt/hdd1/export

Finally, to setup the link to the user shares, I use this sequence of steps for each:

Add this line to /etc/fstab
/mnt/hdd1/home/username/Documents /export/Username none rw,bind 0 0
mkdir /export/Username
mount /mnt/hdd1/home/username/Documents

(I'll note here that the Documents folder is apparently created by Mandrake when the user logs into the machine for the first time.)

I'd love to year your thoughts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home