Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Friday, November 26, 2004

smb.conf - The First Try

Basically, I copied an example smb.conf file and modified for my use. This is a basic workgroup server - mostly copying the functionality of my existing Win95 server.

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = workgroupname

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes

wins support = yes

local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

[homes]
comment = %u's Home Directory
browsable = no
read only = no
map archive = yes

[files]

comment = Shared Files
path = /mnt/hdd1
create mask = 0755
read only = no


After entering the file, I restarted Samba services:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

Next, I had to add a user to Samba for each family member:

smbpasswd -a username

Seems to work OK. Now, sure, I had intended to setup a Primary Domain Controller, but I was having a tough time figuring out the configuration of Samba and the server. The documentation I've been reading seems to stress different things, and it's hard to tell what is important. I wanted to have something running just to show that I could do it. I think I'll play with this setup a little more to learn more about the program.

Here's the other issue: my Win95 server is out of space, I removed some extra files, but there isn't much headroom. I'll have to move files to this server soon. I don't want to experiment on this server once it becomes a production server, so I'm not sure what will happen next. I may grab the about to be retired IMAP server and use it as a play area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home