Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

All Files Copied

After fixing my wife's username issues, I was able to copy the last of the files (her folder) to the new server. However, the old server locked up both times that I tried to copy all of the files at once. So, I began copying one folder at a time. The first few folders went well, but the 4th one locked up the old server again. After rebooting (again!) I skipped to the next folder, and everyting was fine.

I copied all of the other folders and files to the new server, and then tried the new folder one more time. Lock up!! The folder has a very long name that include several puctuation marks. It was created when someone tried to save a web page with graphics, and it only contains 5 small JPG files. I made a folder on the new server with a shorter, less-punctuated name, and copied the files in. Success!

The only thing left on the old server are files from older PCs that I have carried forward over the years. I'll go through these sometime before I wipe the drive and use it for something else. (20GB - It's so small it's cute!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home