Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Old Fileserver is Dying

I've had to reboot the Win98 file server several times today. I think this is the day to move all of the files to the new system. I've got recent backups, but I don't want to lose the more recent stuff (a few days of pictures and web updates).

I'll copy each user's files one at a time, and switch their drive mappings as I go.

As I begin to copy files, the server has locked up again. Could be a long evening.

I've got my daughter's files copied, and mine and my son's are in progress.

There's a bit of a problem for my wife's machine. Her machine login isn't the same as the Linux username. Since the Linux username matches her email name, I'd like to keep it as is. This means that I have to change her Win2000 username, which will be a big pain. I have to move her Outlook Express settings, reinstall some software, move icons and favorites, and generally redo all kinds of things. This won't get done tonight!

I'm going to start the 7GB copy of the photos next. It will probably take several hours. I hope it will be done by morning.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home