Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Changing a Win2K Username

As I mentioned last time, my wife's username on her machine didn't match the username on the Linux machine. I was worried that I would have to transfer her mail, bookmarks, software, etc to the new username. However, a little research showed a better way.

MalekTips had this hint that, even though it was written about WinXP, showed the simple steps to change a username. Basically, I brought up the user properties and typed in the new name. No software reinstalls, email imports or anything else.

When I tried to connect to the server, it still asked for a password each time, since there was no password on her desktop. I changed her password to match the Linux login, and all is well. Her machine is setup to not require a login, so she is ready to go as it powers up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home