Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The DSL Line That Would Not Die

I tried to cancel my DSL line today. Apparently, I have a setup (Verizon hooks it up, but Purdue is the ISP) that Verizon can't handle well, so it was quite frustrating.

Verizon LogoI first called Verizon residential customer support. I gave them my phone number and they told me that I don't have a DSL connection with them. I explained that Purdue is the ISP, and after a quick wait on hold, was told that a different department would handle it. I was transferred.

The 2nd guy (who was very polite - they all were) asked for my number, and then told me that I didn't have DSL service. Once again, I explained the ISP/carrier relationship, and he said he would transfer me to the right place. Unfortunately, the transfer wouldn't work, so he gave me the number.

I called the number and got right in to a technician. This guy didn't sound like a customer service guy (they always sound like they're 23 with a phone headset in a cubicle farm). He was a little crustier sounding, and I could hear the sound of actual work in the background. He asked me my number. (At this point, I felt like the guy in the auto insurance commercial that has taped his responses to the questions he has apparently been asked over and over, and plays the tape into the phone while he eats his lunch.) I gave him the number, and he surprisingly told me that he could see my connection. He issued the disconnect order and gave me a Termination Order Number. Hooray! But wait...this action would disconnect the line, but the charge will continue until Purdue issues a stop order. Time to call Purdue next.

ResNet LogoI looked at the ResNet web page, but couldn't find a number to call or email address to target. So, I called the ITaP support line. After I told the kid what I wanted to do, it took him a couple of minutes with me on hold to find that I need to send an email.

I sent the email to ResNet asking for the service to be cancelled as of today. I still have heard no response.

More as it develops....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home