Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Mail Setup - Part 2

(See Part 1)

It seems that postfix is not installed on the new server. It's tough to remember now what I installed back when I loaded Mandrake. I used this command to check:

rpm -qa | grep -i postfix

I used urpmi to load the program:

urpmi postfix

Next, I modified /etc/postfix/main.cf to include a fully qualified hostname by adding:

myhostname = (insert host here)

The page that I am using for reference asked me to restart the program using postfix reload, but I received message saying that postfix was not running. I guessed and tried to start it:

postfix start

It fired right up.

Now, I'll try fetchmail again in verbose mode... Sure enough, it is receiving mail (although it seems to be kind of locked up after three messages). We'll see what happens.

UPDATE: Fetchmail has timed out. I'm going to blame GMail for the delay, start fetchmail in daemon mode, and not worry about it. I should have a bunch of messages soon.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home