Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Giving Up on DSL

Well, I did it. I ordered digital cable and broadband from Insight. The installer comes on Tuesday morning.

I think that I will have to get a new router. My SpeedStream doesn't have the ability to spoof the MAC address that I think I will need to get InsightBB to allow communication. I don't know much about this yet, but I plan to research over the weekend before I buy one at Best Buy. I'll probably get a .11g model to allow for future wireless networking in the house.

The weird thing is that the cable box for the first TV costs $5.95, but each addition set is $7.95. I only got one for now.

Why did I do this? Because our DSL line has been down more than up for the past week. I called Verizon on Monday, and they promised to send a repair guy out the next day. Here it is Thursday night, and he hasn't shown yet. I'm still going to call them in the morning and make them come out a look at it, although I doubt that they will find anything. It will be working while he is here, so he'll just shrug his shoulders and leave. It will drop again 10 minutes later. I just know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home