Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Mail All Setup

I setup the email configuration for my wife and kids. Each has a mailbox with the new domain and a gmail account. My wife and I also have addresses with HotPOP and Softhome - a couple of free POP3 sites.

Here are the steps:
Set the passwords
All of the passwords were different for each account, and we are having a tough time remembering them all. I changed all for each person to the same password. Probably not the best security plan, but I really doubt that if someone breaks into my little daughter's gmail account, they will be interested enough to try her other account.

Make entries in /root/.fetchmailrc
Just like I did for my accounts (I have 9 setup. Talk about overkill!)

Stop and start fetchmail
fetchmail -q
fetchmail -d 900

Setup Thunderbird on each computer
My wife has been using Outlook Express, so she will have a slight adjustment period.

Setup the IMAP account in T-Bird
We are all using the SMTP server at work. The new domain also has one available. I also added extra identities to allow them to use any address as the FROM: address

Not too tough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home