Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

IDE Card - Day 3

I received the response from the Promise support team yesterday. I appreciate their quick response.

Hi
Have try moving the ultra133 TX2 to different PCI slot. Make sure you have the latest bios and drivers updated for the ultra133 TX2.

Thank you

Promise Technology Inc
Technical Support Lead


I tried both. First, I updated the BIOS on the card to the latest version - 2.20.0.15. No luck.

Next, I removed the LAN card from the only other PCI slot and tried the IDE card there. No luck.

Here's my response back to Promise:

Thanks for answering so quickly. I tried both of the steps you mentioned - update the BIOS (to v 2.20.0.15) and move to the other PCI slot (the machine only has two). Unfortunately, I get the same results. It locks up after displaying IDE Bus Master Enabled.

Are there any issues with Compaq machines from this era, or other incompatibilities I should be aware of? Is it possible that the board is faulty?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks again,

We'll see what they say next.