Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Monday, October 18, 2004

Not a Waste of Time

One could say that, after reading this web log, that it is a extreme waste of time - mine while writing it, and yours when reading it. However, I disagree.

By including my notes on research and installation, log of steps taken, and description of successes and failures, I've created a useful information store. I've already referred back to earlier posts several times as I've experimented. I haven't had too many readers so far, but I hope that my experiences will help someone else with their project.

Also, having this diary online let's me reference it from anywhere - without having to carry around a notebook (paper or computer). I've been doing much of my web searching at work during lunch, and it helps having everything at my fingertips.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to search this blog for info. Blogger offers a search box on the top of the page, but it seems to point to Google and not my pages. I may try the Google desktop tool for this.

Since I'll be transferring software for the next few days, posts may be infrequent. Please feel free to use the Blogger provided ATOM feed to watch for new posts. I'm a big user of RSS/ATOM feed through Bloglines. It keeps track of your feeds on the web, so you can access from where ever you are.

UPDATE: The current version of Google desktop search only indexes Internet Explorer viewed pages. So my Firefox or Mozilla usage is not included. Hopefully, they'll expand it at some point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home