Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, October 09, 2004

New IDE Controller Card

Picture of IDE Interface CardMy new best friend Will has offered a suggestion to help with my hard drive troubles. My Compaq 5030 won't support drives larger than 128GB. He tells me that an IDE Interface Card should help.

I've been reading about these cards, and it seems that the card will support higher capacity drives than the BIOS on the motherboard (which doesn't seem to be updatable). Someone let me know if I'm way off on this.

I'm not that worried about the other problem - the system rebooting shortly after loggin in to Win2K. I'm thinking that it is a conflict between the HD and the optical drive. On my list of things to do is to disconnect the CD and drive the HD by itself on that IDE connection. I put the drive into my desktop machine, and it worked fine. Although, it only shows 137GB. I've downloaded a BIOS update for that machine and plan to flash it today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home