Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, October 30, 2004

I'm Not Alone

Picture of Compaq Presario 5030I was searching around for help with my IDE problems, and I found another who is using a Compaq Presario 5030 with Linux. (Plus, he has this cool cutaway drawing of the machine) He's not using a PCI IDE card, so he's not having trouble with the drives. He also seems to be using it as a desktop. Apparently, the onboard sound is working, which I never was able to do with Mandrake 9.0.

The reason I was searching around is that I'm trying to find others that have installed an IDE controller in a Compaq Presario (no luck). The card's documentation states that I need PCI 2.1 or 2.2. Since I see the card's BIOS messages come up at boot time, I'm guessing that the PCI slot is OK, but it would be nice to confirm it.

I haven't worked on the problem since my last post, but I hope to today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home