Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

HTPC #2 - Hardware Assembly

All the parts have arrived, and I'm ready to put this puppy together. Please refer to post #1 for a component list.

This job went quickly, and my biggest problem was identifying the different screws that came with the case. :) This isn't the smallest mini-ITX case out there, so there was a little room to maneuver cables around to get everything in.

The motherboard has everything! There's no way I'll need 14 USB connections, or 7 SATA devices. Nor will I ever use all of the different audio outs. Flexibility is the key here, and I have lots of options.

Note about fans. I wasn't aware that the i3 processor had a fan included in the package, but I'm glad it did. The separate fan I ordered was huge, and it's hard to imagine it fitting in any case, let alone an ITX box. It's going back to Newegg.

I don't think that even this Intel fan would fit in some of the low profile HTPC cases available. An alternate cooling method would be required.

The 2GB hard drive mounted sideways next to the motherboard, leaving room for yet another device under the full sized optical drive.

With everything connected and the case buttoned up, I fired up the Ubuntu 10.04 RC live CD. HDMI video worked fine (no audio yet), and all of the components were functional.

Now I'm waiting for 10.04 to be released in final form before I start the permanent OS install.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home