Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

CrossOver Linux Professional

I'm finding that I rarely boot up the Windows partition any more on my laptop; Linux Mint 5.0 (based on Ubuntu 8.04) is serving me quite well.

However, there are a few Windows apps I still like to use.  Specifically, I like Media Monkey over any of the Linux based music player/organizer programs I've seen.  Also, Photoshop Elements has a couple of features I can't seem to emulate in The GIMP.

I've tried running these programs inside Wine, but with no success.

However, the other day I came upon a posting on Lifehacker (one of my daily reads) talking about a one day offer to get a free license for CrossOver.  I chose the Linux Professional version.

The key arrived the other day, and the install was uneventful.

First thing I tried was Media Monkey.  The install went quickly, but there was immediately an error saying that the player couldn't initialize.  I could perform other functions, but couldn't play anything.  There is a setting in the CrossOver configuration covering sound drivers, and I'll have to do a little research on that.

Next, I'll try Photoshop Elements.  The program offers presets for installing the full strength Photoshop in several versions, so I'm hoping they have this program covered as well.

More later.

UPDATE:

I installed Photoshop Elements and it works, but it is god-awful slow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home