Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

New Backup Server - Part 3

In Part 2, we learned that I'm having trouble with permissions and Apache2.

These problems I'm having rebuilding the backup server have me concerned about my ability to recover in case of another disk failure. With BackupPC my backups are locked in a proprietary format. Sure, the odds of losing both the file server drive and the operating system drive on the backup server are low, but my inability to get BackupPC back up concerns me. While I have my offsite copies of the photos, but those are only burned every few months when I have enough to fill a DVD.

I've got one more thing to try, as I've found another guide that suggest installing the supporting software (apache2, rsync, etc) and confirming their operation before installing BackupPC. This may help with the apache troubles.

In order to receive warnings when backups don't work, such as the disk full error from before, I also need to get the email notifications going.

See Part 4 for the next exciting episode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home