Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Backup Server - Part 1

I'm starting with an eMachines 600MHz box with 256MB of RAM. There is a 10GB harddive, and I just installed the 250GB drive which will hold the backups. The operating system of choice is Ubuntu 7.10 Server.

Right of the bat, I can't seem to use the USB keyboard in the installation program. No worries, as I have a PS/2 model around here somewhere...

I'm up to the partitioning step, and I've formated the entire 250GB drive as 1 ext3 partition which is set to mount as /backup. On the 10GB drive, there was already a swap area, with the rest as ext3. I set that to mount as root, and erased the partition contents. Odd, the drives are showing up as SCSI, while they are actually PATA.

Partitioning done, the base system is installing.

It's been stuck at 83% for at least 10 minutes. Can't be good. The hard drive is blinking occasionally. Patience, Dan ... it finally moved.

At the screen asking if I want to install any server software, I chose only the OpenSSH option.

And it's reboot time.

Next, I'll do the usual stuff. (Plus, I installed lynx - my favorite browser)

Looks like in this version, unlike 6.10, the Universe repositories are already enabled.

No problems. Ready for Part 2

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home