Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

New Backup Server - Part 2

(This is the third time I've tried this)

In Part 1, I installed the base linux software and made a few tweaks. In this exciting episode, I'll install the backuppc software.

Just like last time, I'll follow this tutorial to install the software.

(for this version (3.0.0) at least, be sure to check 'apache 2' as the web server of choice)

During the installation, as apache was starting, I got this error:
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name
Several sites, including this one recommend that I modify /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to include the line:
ServerName hostname
I used the same name assigned as the hostname during the Ubuntu setup.

As before, I modified the topdir setting, but I used the Edit Config option to do it.

When I attempted to restart apache2, I received some serious looking errors:
* Restarting web server apache2 httpd (pid 13462?) not running
install: cannot change owner and/or group of `/var/lock/apache2': Operation not permitted
(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
I think it has something to do with the apache2 server running as root rather than backuppc.

Enough for tonight. More in Part 3.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home