Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

XDM Setup - Step by Step

I'm refering to the pages linked in the earlier post for my instructions. We'll see how it works out.

Edit etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
put an exclamation mark in front of the line: DisplayManager.requestPort: 0

Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
Remove the hash (#) in front of the line: * # any host can get a login window if there is one. (There wasn't)

Edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
Find [xdmcp] and change Enable=false to Enable=true.

Whoops! I had to install gdm first.


(3 hours later)

Damn! Is this stuff supposed to be this hard!!!

I downloaded and installed CygwinX (it took forever), but I couldn't make it do what the instruction suggested. More than one source said to open a CygwinX window and enter X -broadcast. Command not found!

Next, I tried X-Deep. It wanted to install to the C: drive (remember, mine's called E:). I redirected the install, but it wouldn't run because it couldn't find the directory.

I'm really missing something here, but I'm too tired to think about it tonight. More tomorrow.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home