Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

IDE Card - Day Last

Cartoon of a White FlagWell, I gave up today. I'm anxious to get started on the actual server work, and I'm tired of messing with hardware. I installed the 250GB drive in my desktop machine, and I will soon move the 80GB drive to the server.

The IDE Card goes into my drawer of computer parts. Maybe I'll use it in a later project. Or, I could sell it on eBay.

A weird thing happened when I brought up the new drive. I didn't notice it until I was installing Firefox, and it was asking to install on the E: drive. I had wired the 250GB drive as the master and the 80GB as the slave, but the 80GB retained its old drive letter of C:. The machine boots from E: just fine. (I know - the drive letter is assigned long after boot starts.) I wonder what will happen when I take the 80GB drive out (in about 15 minutes) and reboot. Will the 250GB drive remain at E:, or grab C: once it is not in use? I suppose it isn't a big deal, but it is a little non-standard. I'll read up on the subject.

Once again, I have to install loads of desktop software. For those of you who care, here's the checklist (always being augmented as I remember things):


UPDATE: After I finished writing this post, including adding all of the links, I pressed 'Publish Post' and waited. After the Blogger message indicating a successful upload didn't come up, I decided on a whim to copy the text and paste it into a blank notepad window. Good thing I did, because the Blogger server failed and the text was lost. I would have been quite upset if I had lost it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home