Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Let's Try X-Deep

OK, so I had to run the full install of CygwinX three times because the connection with the mirror kept bombing out (one attempt took over an hour). Then, when I tried to run it, I still got the missing .dll error. I found the file and copied it to the folder with the .exe, ran it, and it asked for another .dll. By this time, I'm pretty frustrated, so I copied all of the .dll's over. Now, when I ran it, it came up.

I tried the command X -query hostname. The X screen came up, but no login. Arrgh!

I think that my problems with this program have to do more with my lack of experience than with the application. Based on Google results, it seems to be the #1 X server for Windows in use. However, they could make it a little easier to download, install, configure, and use. By this time, I was pretty perturbed with the whole thing, so I deleted the app off the hard drive and moved on to the next application, X-Deep.

The installation was quick and easy. Unfortunately, when I tried to run it, it gave me the error about not being able to open the directory mentioned earlier. With a new found sense of patience and curiosity, I decided to research. The X-Deep FAQ mentioned that an earlier version had a tendency to occasionally scramble the registry entries. I opened regedit and poked around a little. I found the X-Deep section mentioned an etc folder. My X-Deep program folder didn't have one - so I created the folder. Now, the application starts up fine, although it tells me that there are no XDM servers available.

Looks like I need to look at the configuration on the server.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home