Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

HTPC #5 - Trouble

This project has gone pretty well. Assembly was easy, software installation was challenging but successful, and setting up the file server functions was a breeze. I was even able to setup iTunes in a virtual machine. This box runs fast and works well.

Well, except for one thing. I've only been able to get HDMI to work one time for about 15 minutes. Every other time I hook it up, either using the HDMI port or using a DVI to HDMI adapter, the resulting picture has been horrible. Very green with shades of pink, and intensely overstaturated. I tried different cables and all three inputs on my television, but no luck. (Using the supplied DVI to VGA adapter, I get a good picture on an old CRT.)

After talking with a friend (who works at Nvidia) and corresponding with the vendor, it has been decided that the motherboard is faulty and should be replaced. I applied to Newegg for an RMA for replacement and it was issued. Tomorrow, I take the whole thing apart and send it back. Then, I wait for the replacement. Wonder how long this will take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home