Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Locking Down the System - Part 1

Today I started my attempt to better secure my server before opening IMAP to the world.

First, I used the Mandrake system configuration tool to raise the security level to 'Higher'. Right away, I notice that I can't use ssh to login to the system. I don't remember what I did to enable ssh, but I guess now I'll have to figure it out. It could be a firewall thing, or something else.

(checking firewall settings)

Well, according to the config tool, the firewall is set to allow everything.

I've just noticed that I can't connect to the email server either. Samba is still working.

I think I'm going to change it back to 'Standard' until I learn more about the settings.

More later...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home