Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Client Machine Parts

Super-Flower PictureOK, so I just ordered the case for my new desktop machine. It is a Super-Flower case from Directron. It has USB and audio ports on the front.

As promised earlier, here is the list of components for the new desktop machine:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-7ZXE with an AMD Athlon processor, and 768MB of RAM. It includes plenty of PCI slots, an AGP slot, and onboard sound.

Video:
ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PRO with built in TV tuner and a couple of fun looking cables.

Network:
3Com 3C905B-TXNM 10/100-Base-TX

Sound:
MAD DOG Multimedia Predator 5.1 DSP. Includes 5.1 outputs.

Modem:
Modem??!! That's not going in there. How 90's can one get?

Other:
3½ Floppy drve - this may not make it in either

CDRW/DVD-ROM drive - make unknown

Hard Drive:
None
Wait a minute! Without a hard drive, we're not going to get very far. I'm ordering a 160GB for the new server, but I can't free up the 20GB drive in the old server until files are transfered. I have a 4GB sitting around doing nothing that I may use for the short term. It should hold Windows, Office, and the other basic things I need. I'll figure out what to do with the 20GB later.

Operating System:
None
Once again, I'm kind of winging it. I can get Win XP from work as part of the campus wide license. Unfortunately, I already obtained a copy, but I lost it. They won't give me a replacement, so I'll have to ask some other staff member to get a copy and give it to me.

Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home