Linux Server Diary

The trials and tribulations of a Linux newbie trying to setup a home server.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Existing Linux Server Configuration

Here are some of the configuration files I modified when setting up the IMAP server. You can tell from some of the settings that I played with lots of stuff.

/etc/xinet.d/imap
service imap

{
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/imapd
log_on_success += DURATION USERID
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
}

/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
#!/bin/sh


IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables

$IPTABLES -F INPUT

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -i eth0 -p icmp
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -i eth0 -p tcp
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -i eth0 -p udp

#FTP
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 20 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT

#SSH
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

#HTTP
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

#IMAP
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT

#DNS
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

#PING
#$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT

#Drop and log all other data
#$IPTABLES -A INPUT -m limit --limit 3/second --limit-burst 5 -i ! lo -j LOG
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i ! lo -j DROP

Looks like I allowed a few more ports than I thought. DNS and FTP never worked.

/etc/fetchmailrc
set daemon 900


poll pop.dddddd.com protocol pop3 username "uuuuuuu" password "pppppp" is "uuuuuuu" here
...

I have five email accounts setup for me that go to four different mailboxes, plus there is one for my son.

/etc/ntp.conf
...

server horologe.cerias.purdue.edu
server tick.cerias.purdue.edu
server tock.cerias.purdue.edu
...

I used the time servers at Purdue.

/etc/postfix/main.cf

I won't include the whole file, but I did make a couple of changes.

myhostname = dsl.......edu

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomainname


At least, I think this is what I changed. The problem with not documenting my changes is that I have no idea what I did to install IMAP, and that is the one service on the machine that I use and rely on. I don't even know at this point if the IMAP software came with Mandrake 9.1 or if I downloaded it from somewhere.

This situation is pushing me towards redoing the IMAP setup on the new machine. I'll have to figure out at some point how to migrate the email.

That's all of the modified configuration files I could find. I'll post more later if I find anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home